Monday, 30 May 2016

Hollys Culture Week At Nursery

Well hello!!

This week is culture week at Hollys Nursery. 

I have some how managed to miss Scottish week!! How I managed that I have no idea but I did. 

This week they are looking at Polish and Romanian cultures. They listen to some music, learn a few words, try out some snacks and learn about the cultures in general. 

Incase you didn't know Scotland has a big community of Polish and Romanian people. It bothers some people. Some people have withdrawn their kids from culture week. It doesn't bother me though. I think it's good for her to learn different things. 

ANYWAY!! They are encouraged to take in something to do with their culture!!

So I made Holly a pet haggis!! 

Haggis is a recipe you eat. It's made up of lungs, hearts and liver with some added seasoning. All stuffed into an intestine of the animal you are using, normally a sheep or pig. It was originally made back in the day to reduce wastage. So if an animal was slaughtered for food, every single part was used. 

How ever some people are kind of silly and do genuinely think Haggi (plural) are actually small animals that we hunt and eat.  

Here is what I used to make Hamish

We had a trip to Hobby Craft and purchased the above. Black foam paper, google eye kit, extra hot glue sticks, wool and buttons. I didn't actually use the buttons. Over all we spent £13.40

Then basically I got a small haggis chub and hot glued the wool for fur. Added some eyes, lolly pop sticks wrapped in wool for legs, felt for beak and feet and a pipe cleaner for a collar. That made Hamish. It was just something silly for her to take to school. I also managed to get her some actual haggis to take in incase they want to try any. 

You see her Gran works at a haggis breeding farm and she can get stuff like that ;) 

Do you make anything for your kids nursery/preschool. Let me know in a comment :)

Speak soon 
L x 
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
My Petit Canard
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Diary of an imperfect mum
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three
https://domesticatedmomster.com/category/momsterslink-2/ thumbnailsize
Lovely Things
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows

30 comments:

  1. Haggis is brilliant. We love it. Yes on Burns night but maybe a couple of other times why not? This reminded me of ode to a haggis, and looks lots of fun. Our Jane is doing similar stuff at nursery at the moment too. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im loving Holly at nursery more than I thought I would be cause of these type of things lol
      Lx

      Delete
  2. Wow, your so creative and that looks amazing X #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! I honestly thought you'd bought it after seeing the picture, not made it. Very crafty! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pet Haggis! That's brilliant, I want one. Thank you for linking up with #KCACOLS and hope to see you next week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, love that mental image of your Gran rearing little baby Haggi! And I thing it's great that your daughter's nursery do culture week, I think it's fab for our children to learn about other people's cultures. x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its good for them to have an open mind about these things!!
      Lx

      Delete
  6. Ha ha ha that is actually really cool though I have never confused Haggi for animals that you kill. Being a veggie I much prefer the cuddly animal version!

    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol neither have I! but there are some people out there I have met the think they are!!
      Lx

      Delete
  7. aw this is brilliant! I'm impressed with your craft skills! thanks for linking up to #KCACOLS - hope to see you again next week

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry lovely, I commented earlier this week but it doesn't seem to have worked! Amazing skills you have, I thought he was bought in a shop! Thanks for linking to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats ok. Im just glad you read it!
      Lx

      Delete
  9. Ohhh wow!! Hamish is fabulous! I love the wool fur!
    I quite like the idea of culture week, it sounds fun! :) xx #FartGlitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the only thing I could think of for fur :)
      Lx

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a great school activity, make kids learn different cultures. I don't think my son has culture week at school, although they have other activities like last month where they had Rubbish Robot Month. They were asked to make robots out from rubbish and they have robot display in school. #lovelythings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the robot month!!
      Lx

      Delete
  11. I so want a pet haggis! In fact when I was a child my Dad convinced me that they really were cute little animals, quite similar to what you have made here in fact, only their legs on one side were shorter than on the other, because Scotland is hilly and so it helps with their balance haha. Hope your little one had a fab week. Thanks for linking up with us at #fartglitter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a real one too trust me lol!!
      Lx

      Delete
  12. Ha ha that Haggis rocks! :) Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to learn about different cultures. Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very cute :) I am rubbish at doing stuff like this, I must try and do some more craft with my children. Thanks for linking up to #lovelythings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really try to be involved with my kids schools but sometimes I'm just horrible at keeping up with what crafts they are doing as we do so many at home. Love your little animal you made. Thanks for linking with #momsterslink :))

    ReplyDelete